With NCDs being collectively responsible for almost 70% of all deaths worldwide the world has come to an inactivity crisis. With fewer and fewer people taking part in regular exercise the situation is only going to get worse. This is why the WHO has officially launched the Global Action plan on Physical Activity 2018-2030 (GAPPA).
This is the culmination of many years of groundwork to create an action plan that can work. With multiple drafts and a world wide consultation, with over 120 countries contributing, we now have the framework to reverse the damage done by sedentary behaviours. Currently 1 in 4 adults and 3 in 4 adolescents do not meet physical activity requirements. As a profession we should wince at this fact. It is in our hands to do something about the inactivity epidemic. We need to embrace this new action plan and drive it forwards.
GAPPA calls for a joint cross sector approach to combat cultural, environmental and economic barriers to activity. The plan clearly lays out a 4 objective, 20 point action plan which ties in nicely with the WHO sustainable development goals.
We are on a mission too – #justkeepmoving
At Physiopedia we understand the importance of physical activity. Incorporating movement and activity into patient management is a key component of professional physiotherapy practice. Simply asking someone to “just keep moving” could make all the difference to their health and performance. That’s why over the past few months, and continuing for the rest of the year we are sharing our stories. Rachael, Tony, Laura, Mariam, Wendy and Bridget have each shared what #justkeepmoving means to them and we’d love to hear what it means to you too. Here are a few ideas:
- Share the #justkeepmoving idea with your patients, together you could set goals for keeping moving.
- Share the #justkeepmoving idea with your friends and family to optimise their health.
- Create a #justkeepmoving infographic or poster to share in your clinic or on social media.
- Promote activity by wearing #justkeepmoving on your clothing (we are setting up an online shop specifically for this purpose right now!)
- Design your own #justkeepmoving t-shirt, we’ll add it to the shop, donate the profits to Physiopedia and reward the most popular design, the more the merrier!
- Wear the #justkeepmoving race wear at the next race you enter, you could even fundraise for the #justkeepmoving campaign via the Physiopedia Just Giving account.
- Set new goals to #justkeepmoving your personal and professional life forwards.
- Or simply send us an article to publish on Physiospot on what #justkeepmoving means to you.
In addition to promoting all of your activities on Physiopsot throughout the year, we will be celebrating the best #justkeepmoving activities on World Physical Therapy Day on 8 September.
The Physiopedia team are looking forward to hearing how you and/or your patients and clients #justkeptmoving!