Working In Other EU Countries Has Become Easier With The European Professional Card

The ease at which physiotherapists in the European Union can work in other EU countries has become easier. The European Professional Card (EPC), which became available on 18 January 2016 cost’s £25 and will speed up the process of becoming registered to practice as a physiotherapist in other countries.

The EPC is not a plastic card, but an electronic certificate issued via the first EU-wide fully online procedure for the recognition of qualifications. This digital procedure is based on the well-established Internal Market Information System (IMI) and allows professionals to communicate with the relevant authorities inside a secure network.

The EPC does not replace the ‘traditional’ recognition procedures under the Professional Qualifications Directive, but it does offer an advantageous option for professionals who wish to work either temporarily or permanently in another EU country.  For example a physiotherapist working in mainland Europe can apply for the EPC in their home country and then register with the HCPC in the UK using the card. The same goes for UK physiotherapists wanting to work in other EU countries.

If you would like a European Professional Card, you can contact the Health and Care Professions Council on +44 (0) 845 300 4472 or email [email protected] for further information.

Find out more here