The Physiopedia app is freely available – this is a power-tool in your pocket!
The physiopedia app is a lifeline to thousands of clinicians around the world. Whether you are newly qualified and need information on an unfamiliar condition, or whether you are working remotely, and other clinicians are not easily available with whom you can discuss your clinical cases. The Physiopedia app can provide you with relevant information at your fingertips.
The app is free and there is a paid premium version of the app which allows offline viewing of content and removal of promotional content. The paid version costs £0.99 / $1.99 per month and as a premium access level user, you can ‘favorite’ an article by clicking on the heart icon on the top right of the screen this article will be downloaded to allow offline access.
Features – Always Updating!
You can search for the information that you are looking for on the app. Either by clicking on the relevant body part and then select the relevant information you require, for example anatomy or outcome measures or examination techniques. Video demonstrations accompany some of the Physiopedia pages. You can also search by condition, if you know what you are looking for you can simply type that into the search bar at the top. For example, if you are searching for information on headaches, you can insert your specific search topic into the search bar.
All these awesome features got me to thinking about what a useful tool this app can be to clinicians working in a clinic setting and, furthermore, the resource that the app provides to clinical team. The clinic where I work is looking to download the app onto the mobile phones which are provided to clinicians when they join the clinic. Thereby providing them with clinical support, on their phone. Perhaps this could be something that your clinic could consider to support clinical staff on their placements?
Breakdown of Key Features
- Article of the day – a new article for you to read each day for some easy CPD to give you something new to think about
- Body map navigation – not sure what you’re looking for but know where it is? You can find the condition you’re looking for by narrowing your focus using the body map search tool
- Specific search tool – know exactly what you’re looking for? Use the specific search tool to get the information you need within seconds
- Play icon – narrates article text – great for using your commute as an opportunity to get some quick CPD in
- Share icon – reveals iOS share panel to share article URL by social media, email etc
- QR code icon – reveals a QR code that shares the article URL that can be scanned by other device cameras
- Settings page accessed by the app menu – Allows the selection of the narration voice used and narration speed.