This month our learn topic was Movement. Our learn topics are self directed learning experiences that you can dip in and out of as you wish to as part of your own personal learning and development. They include many resources such as book chapters, journal articles, videos, quizzes, and other open resources.
The resources that we recently added in relation to Movement are:
2 audio interviews:
- A 30 minute interview with Sarah Mottram from Kinetic Control discussing Movement and work with Mark Comerford on assessing and retaining uncontrolled movement
- An hour long interview with Shirley Sahrmann discussing the Movement System and the future of the physiotherapy and physical therapy profession
3 book chapters:
- Mark Comerford and Sarah Mottram. Uncontrolled Movement. Chapter 1 in: Kinetic Control: the management of uncontrolled movement. Elsevier, 2014.
- Mark Comerford and Sarah Mottram. Retraining Strategies For Uncontrolled Movement. Chapter 4 in: Kinetic Control: the management of uncontrolled movement. Elsevier, 2014
- Nancy Berryman Reese and William D. Bandy. Measurement of ROM and Muscle Length: Background, History and Basic Principles. Chapter 1 in: Joint Range of Motion and Muscle Length Testing. Elsevier, 2010
8 journal articles:
- Peter Worsley, Martin Warner, Sarah Mottram, Stephan Gadola, H Veeger, H Hermens, D Morrisey, P Little, Cooper, A Carr and M Stokes. Motor control retraining exercises for shoulder impingement: effects on function, muscle activation and biomechanics in young adults. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. Apr 2013; 22(4): e11–e19
- Peter O’Sullivan. Diagnosis and classification of chronic low back pain disorders: maladaptive movement and motor control impairments as underlying mechanism. Man Ther. 2005 Nov;10(4):242-55. Epub 2005 Sep 9
- Dankaerts W, O’Sullivan P. The validity of O’Sullivan’s classification system (CS) for a sub-group of NS-CLBP with motor control impairment (MCI): overview of a series of studies and review of the literature. Man Ther. 2011 Feb;16(1):9-14
- Scheets PL, Sahrmann SA, Norton BJ. Use of movement system diagnoses in the management of patients with neuromuscular conditions: a multiple-patient case report. Phys Ther. 2007 Jun;87(6):654-69
- Harris-Hayes M, Sahrmann SA, Norton BJ, Salsich GB. Diagnosis and management of a patient with knee pain using the movement system impairment classification system. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2008 Apr;38(4):203-13
- Caldwell C, Sahrmann S, Van Dillen L. Use of a movement system impairment diagnosis for physical therapy in the management of a patient with shoulder pain. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2007 Sep;37(9):551-63
- Katrina S Maluf, Shirley A Sahrmann and Linda R Van Dillen. Use of a Classification System to Guide Nonsurgical Management of a Patient With Chronic Low Back Pain. Physical Therapy November 2000 vol. 80 no. 11 1097-1111
- Nancy Berryman Reese and William D. Bandy. Measurement of ROM and Muscle Length: Background, History and Basic Principles. Chapter 1 in: Joint Range of Motion and Muscle Length Testing. Elsevier, 2010.
- Shirley A Sahrmann. Moving Precisely? Or Taking the Path of Least Resistance? Physical Therapy, 78:1208-1219, 1998.
- Retraining strategies
- Retraining local muscles
- Retaining global muscles
- Retraining global strength
- Retraining – where to start?